Trumping Isolationism: IEAA Sponsored Students Forum 2017
From Brexit and Donald Trump, to the re-emergence of Pauline Hanson, we are seeing a return to a more nationalistic approach to international affairs in many parts of the world. IEAA’s Sponsored Students Forum 2017 will explore how these seismic political events – and the growing rhetoric around isolationism – affects the provision of scholarships in international education.
This year’s forum will focus on the value of scholarships to students, institutions, scholarship providers and nations that send their students abroad for study. Sponsors will provide insight into their priorities and strategic plans, as well as an understanding of how they see their scholarship providing value – particularly in the current world climate.
Now in its third year, IEAA’s Sponsored Students Forum provides a welcome opportunity to meet with sponsors and other stakeholders in an informal setting. Participants will share best practice in scholarship management and student support. A student panel will also provide a first-hand insight into the impact of university and sponsor policies, the lasting legacy of their scholarship programs and the importance of education across borders.
This event is led by IEAA's Special Interest Group (SIG) for Sponsored Students.
Professor Richard Baker
Pro Vice-Chancellor (University Experience), Australian National University
On-Award Advisor, Australia Awards in Indonesia
Assistant Secretary, Australia Awards and Alumni Branch, DFAT
Director, Communications and Engagement, Australia Awards and Alumni, DFAT
Program Manager, Australia Awards South and West Asia, Scope Global
This year’s forum will focus on a number of key themes, including:
- The role of scholarships in combatting isolationism, and encouraging internationalism
- The value of scholarships to students, institutions and nations
- Strategic plans of sponsors and sponsorship bodies
- Encouraging best practice in scholarships and sponsor management.
Download the full program*
* Program updated Friday 24 March. Subject to change without notice.
IEAA’s Sponsored Students Forum provides a unique opportunity for government representatives, sponsorship bodies and institutional staff to come together and explore a range of issues and opportunities.
This forum is designed for:
- professional staff who work with sponsored students
- sponsors and sponsorship bodies (e.g. embassy staff, cultural attachés)
- academics undertaking research in scholarships, public diplomacy and international development.
The forum aims to facilitate:
- A greater understanding of the value of international scholarships to individuals, organisations and nations.
- An insight into the strategic direction of key sponsoring bodies.
- Connections with sponsorship bodies from across the world.
- A network of professionals committed to providing students and sponsors with best practice support.
Click here to read IEAA's Events Cancellation Policy.
Registrations Open: 1st Feb 17 12:00 AM
Registrations Close: 31st Mar 17 11:59 PM
Tuesday 4 - Wednesday 5 April 2017
|Time:||Day 1: 9.00am-4.30pm Day 2: 9.00am-4.30pm|
|Venue:||Australian National University
Commons Function Centre
Corner Barry Drive and Marcus Clarke Street
$380 IEAA members
Tuesday 4 April 2017 is for institutional representatives only until 3.00pm, with sponsors welcome to join the audience for the student panel and join in networking drinks from 4.30pm.